Just when we all thought we had our Facebook business pages figured out, the world’s largest social network changes the game once again!
On March 30, all Facebook pages will automatically roll over to the new Timeline format (you can preview your pages here). Rather than wait for Facebook to make the first move, which will leave your page with a blank cover photo, be proactive and upgrade your page now.
Here are the top 5 things you need to know about Timeline for Facebook pages:
- Timeline pages feature a large cover photo 850 pixels by 315 pixels. This provides a great opportunity to show off your brand, but it does come with restrictions. You are not allowed to include contact information, Facebook features such as “Like” or “share”, price or discount details, or calls to action such as “Sign up now” in your cover photo.
- Default landing pages are a thing of the past. This will be frustrating news for all those businesses that have spent time and money designing custom landing pages. But you can still create custom tabs – these are now 760 pixels wide.
- Fans can now send you direct messages. You’ll be notified of any new messages on your new Admin panel that appears above your page.
- You can pin your most important or favourite posts to the top of your page. Simply hover over the post you want to pin and click on the pencil icon (you can also choose to hide or delete posts here too).
- You have the opportunity to change your page name (previously, if you had more than 100 fans this wasn’t possible). You can apply to have your Facebook page name changed here.